You will conduct (design) research, be part of interdisciplinary research teams, help create new research proposals, attract funds, co-write publications, and organize events. You will work with a high-level of autonomy on a wide range of projects. We want you to actively pursue your personal fascinations related to the future of urban environments.
P∙A is a Rotterdam-based architectural firm with its own research lab and development branch. We create vital environments in which people live, work and socialize through good design. We are experts in the transformation of existing buildings. We create multifunctional and transformative environments in which people, ideas and communities thrive. The research lab studies the spatial application of sustainable technologies in urban environments. We place people at the heart of our work. Urban environments that stimulate the well-being of people are key in ensuring a sustainable future. We use our design thinking to come up with bold ways to unlock the full potential of the existing urban fabric. We generate knowledge, shape opinion and always transform our findings into concrete action. We work in interdisciplinary teams with fellow designers and researchers. The research lab supports our design teams and acts as an independent think tank within P∙A.
We are involved in several research projects including “Gebouwd Water”, “Weerbaar Weert” and “Zon in de Stad”. The research collaborative Gebouwd Water investigates urban climate adaptation as a means to improve spatial and social quality in three deprived neighbourhoods in Rotterdam. In Weerbaar Weert we explore ways to implement climate adaptive measures that support the historic and cultural values of the historic city centre of Weert. In the initiative Zon in de Stad we search ways to promote solar energy use in Rotterdam for and together with local citizens.
- Available for a minimum period of 5 months, preferably starting this September;
- Currently enrolled in a master programme in architecture, urbanism, or landscape architecture at university;
– Or currently enrolled in a master programme at university in a social science with a clear spatial component and/or a demonstrable strong personal fascination for the built environment: i.e. human geography, urban planning, urban studies, but also anthropology, sociology or other suitable studies could apply;
- Highly proficient in MS Office software;
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite or willing to acquire these skills during the internship;
- Fluent in written and spoken Dutch & English (any other languages are an asset);
- Hands-on approach and a healthy dose of team spirit;
- Able to work with creativity, precision, accuracy, and a high level of independence;
- Prior experience in working with people in creative industries and/or interdisciplinary teams is an asset.
Please send a cover letter describing your motivation and personal fascinations to email@example.com. Applications should include a curriculum vitae with personal data, education, experience and software knowledge. Links to personal websites, portfolios or other digital platforms are welcome but not required. We stand for equality of opportunity in employment and will take all suitable applications in consideration.Personal Architecture